[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: SV: Back translation - starting with Italian and French

  • From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 00:36:00 +1000

Hello Bue,
Thanks for your reply. I've had a look through my list archive and read
through those recent back translation posts. I won't lie they do go over my
head a little bit as I'm not very familiar with liblouis and Braille
translation.

I think I'm becoming more familiar with the way things are done as I read
more tables and documentation. I guess I just want to clarify some
conventions, so that whatever efforts I go to which get back translation
working for my app can also be included in the liblouis project for others
to benefit from.

I wasn't 100% sure about the litdigit vs digit question in the fr-fr-g1
table. It seems changing digit to litdigit fixed the errors with back
translation of numbers, but this is done in the digit6DotPlusDot6 file
which is used by many tables, so I figure this is a bad move. Would it be
acceptable to create a new table exactly the same as digit6DotPlusDot6 but
with litdigit instead of digit and include this into fr-fr-g1?

I was also playing around with getting punctuation to work in Italian
because it uses the same symbols as some accented characters (apparently).
I will investigate this more and get the exact rules. However, is this
where we use the prepunc and postpunc commands? I recall I was getting some
sort of error about the symbol being undefined eg. prepunc symbol dots. Do
I need to define punctuation symbol dots somewhere to stop this from
happening? Is there any practical difference between begword and prepunc
(and postpunc and endword)?

Finally, I found myself adding noback prior to some characters in the
tables. Is it acceptable to add noback rules for some characters so that
all "essential" characters can be translated and the conflicting less
important characters can still work for forward translation, but ignored
for back translation? Or is this a bit of a hack and do I need to come up
with something better?

Again this is a fairly challenging project for me given I'm not very
familiar with liblouis and relying on my users for the details on the
Braille codes and having to do all the technical work myself.

Thanks,
Daniel

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 12:07 AM, Bue Vester-Andersen <bue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

wrote:

Hi Daniel,

I don't know if you have been following the list lately, but there has
recently been quite a lot of discussion on the list, both about
back-translation in general, and about specific points. If this mailing
list has an archive, I suggest you start there. Otherwise, I could probably
find something to forward to you off list.

I am myself planning to start working on back-translation for other
tables, once I have finished the current expansion and restructuring of the
Danish Tables.

I will be happy to help you along the way, but you would probably do well
to also find somebody who is fluent in Braille in the languages for which
you want to do back-translation.

HTH Bue