[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Last Steps to New Releases

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:59:56 +0100

Hi

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 05:27 -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I think we can take the last steps to the new releases,
I think we could probably do a new release. There's enough new stuff
that warrants it. There are two concerns though: 1) From what I can tell
the new user-defined styles have not seen wide public testing (then
again, they probably only will once we cut a release) and 2) Christian
Waldvogel tells me that his tables for German grade2 are more or less
ready for review, so it might be good to review and include them in the
new release.

> though there are still some loose ends, notably the liblouisxml documentation.
What do you think is missing in the documentation?

> If it is ok with everyone, I would like to
> update the NEWS and Changelog files and ask Christian to merge my
> johnb-devel/trunk branch into the real liblouisxml trunk.
> There will be bugfixes, mostly for liblouisxml.
I have to admit I don't quite understand what you are asking for. I'm
perfectly fine with merging your branch back to trunk. I'm also fine
with making a new release. However if you are saying that there are some
bugs that we know now and that these should be fixed in subsequent
releases then I don't agree. If we know the bugs now then I think we
should fix them now. If you are saying that there will be probably bugs
(that are currently not known) then I'm fine with fixing them in
subsequent releases.

> It will
> take a while to get everything there just right. I also have some
> high-priority enhancements on which I would like to proceed without
> worrying about releases.
If you'd just like to work on some new features then it would probably
be best to add a new branch off trunk once I merged everything back. If
you like I could even take care of the release itself (i.e. make dist,
upload and announce).

Swiss Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired