[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Japanese language support

  • From: "John Gardner" <john.gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 08:02:05 -0700

Hi, getting good Japanese braille and good Chinese braille are both very
difficult propositions.  A given Chinese character whether used in Chinese
or Japanese can have dozens of different pronounciations and meanings,
depending on context.  So a good braille translation requires a great deal
of context dependence, and this is not something that liblouis is designed
to do.  It would be a major undertaking to determine what, if anything, can
be added to liblouis to make it sufficiently context-dependent.  A big job
indeed.

Good luck.

John G