[leveller] Tablet trial

  • From: Ray Gardener <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:53:52 -0800

Well, I have procured a Wacom tablet and am definitely learning a few
things:

- It works with Leveller on a default mouse emulation basis.
   That's using the word "works" too kindly, however.

- Editing seems more fun/natural/worthwhile on the 3D scene pane
   instead of the 2D pane, at least for general shaping/smoothing.
   It makes having added 3D editing suddenly more worth it. :)

- The mouse event tracking is s-l-o-w. I can't spell letters by hand
unless I slow down my writing speed well below normal, even using small
brush sizes. Some of this is probably because of the processing required
to alter the heightfield with brush tools, hopefully I can make it
faster. I used an Athlon 2000 system to test with, which I consider a
reasonable mainstream perf. reference.

- Using continuous brushing mode is near mandatory to get good results,
but it impacts speed even worse.

- The existing tools interface (changing brush size, etc.) is too
cumbersome with a tablet. Definitely going to have to get a good
tablet-specific interface coded in.

Ray