[leveller] Re: Digital Surf

  • From: Ray Gardener <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:36:09 -0700

Carl Lingard wrote:
Hey, really nice! Equally pleasing both at medium and small scale. You had me humming the tune too....which became annoying :)

What was the app it was rendered in again?

It's a mod of the Terrain Viewer. You can run it yourself by grabbing
http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/download/terrview_waves.zip

Any plans to take this further- ?

Long term, I'm planning on adding Terrain Viewer as a scene export option for Leveller. But the system needs to figure out by itself where the shoreline is -- currently it's hard coded. Plus some material map system needs to exist; not every shore is a beach.

The usefulness of the app is dubious... a game studio, e.g., will already have their own render engine. Personally I like having a nicely rendered island just "to get away" when taking a break. But I don't know if lots of people go for that sort of thing.

I'm also looking at Second Life scripting, to help spruce up SL sims. But Terrain Viewer is faster to launch than SL and I can code in C++ which I'm more familiar with, so it's easier to prototype effects for now this way. Machinima is a more useful application, but that needs scripting, which SL has. Or maybe one of the open source game engines can be used.

Ray