[lektrik_flyers] Re: flying Saturday 9-28-13

  • From: Bill Beavers <bill.beavers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lektrik_flyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:55:28 -0500

Well not having flown the StevensAero wing yet, I can only tell you what I
have read about it and what I speculate it will be like but knowing the
wing design, I am pretty sure what I am getting ready to tell you will be
correct.  Having observed first hand John C.'s Slow Fly wing I can tell you
what it will be like.

You already know how docile, gentle and slow the stock SS wing is.  So with
that as your baseline, here is what to expect from the other two.

The Slow Fly wing being a straight and symmetrical (curved shape on top and
bottom) wing will make the  SS a little "quicker" (meaning faster) as well
as a little more twitchy (meaning stick movements will cause more movement)
since the wing is straight across with no dihedral.  With the addition of
ailerons on this wing, it will feel more like a high wing sport plane than
the slow stick you know now, but you will like that.  This wing is a little
shorter coming in at 42".  More like a sport wing size.

The StevensAero Soar Stick wing is really just a balsa version of the SS
wing.  A little longer coming in at 55 inch wing span vs. the 46" SS wing.
 Since it is still a flat bottom wing and has about the same dihedral as
the original foam wing, it should behave much like the original SS wing
except you put ailerons on this one giving you a new dimension to flying
from the original.

Hope this helps.