[lektrik_flyers] FPV Flying

  • From: Ryan McCon <rwmccon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lektrik_flyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:55:10 -0500

I decided to make a new email chain, anybody interested in learning about
FPV, maybe respond to me on this and let me know, there seems to be a good
bit of interest, and I don't mind sharing what I know at all, but the
discussions can get quite involved and many may not care about all of it.

Anyways, to start, FPV isn't as easy as just copying something someone else
did usually. Perhaps if your goals in FPV are exactly the same then that
works, but some guys go for distance, some for altitude, some want to fly
low and close in, fighter pilot style stuff. Some want return to home, some
don't care. Some fly in urban areas with more RF noise, some fly out in the
middle of nowhere with concern for that. Some want simple setups with a
monitor, some want goggles, some have fully enclosed trailers with cockpits
including joystick controls and rudder pedals. And no solution meets all
the needs of every goal.

There are many frequencies for video transmission, 900 mhz, 1.2 ghz, 1.3
ghz, 2.4 ghz, and 5.8ghz. Each has advantages. For control link you need to
decide your range - 1/2 mile or less? Or farther?

I did a good bit of research before delving off into it, and can probably
shorten the learning curve.

Basic guidelines though, if you want to go out 1-2 or more miles like Marty
did, you can expect to spend about 600-1000 dollars on a setup. And if you
want to go farther than that, plan on starting slow and working up to the
longer distances after many flights/failures/experience. FPV can be
extremely disorienting when flying "under the hood" or via goggles/monitor
only. It's quite easy to fly outside the range of your antenna and lose the
visual downlink and have no idea where your plane is.

So - shoot me an email if you want to continue the discussion and maybe we
can take it off the main list? Or maybe leave it on if that is the
consensus... but I'm happy to help with any knowledge I have...