[LRFlex] Re: the one that got away.

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:02:36 -0700

on 4/14/04 8:57 PM, andy Wagner at yxandy@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> David
>
> I can definetly relate to getting out of town. I'm hoping to get out to
> Sequioa Kings Canyon N.P. next week and forget about work for a while. 16hr
> days are rough. Now if only the wife can get off.
> Anyways spring is starting to bloom here in Wisc. and I'm going to make it an
> early morning, one of my coworkers has a pair of hawks with a nest in his
> yard. Time to give it the "Herr" attempt. Remember "act like prey". If I come
> home with claw marks I'll know I did it right.

Andy, if they're Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawks, be extra careful because
these two species have been known to attack people who've gotten too close
to the nest.  Take your time getting close to them, talk quietly and act
quietly, but don't try to hide.  Humans are so lousy at hiding, and the
birds know their territory so well, that any attempt at hiding will be met
with suspicion.  Also, the birds' 'flight distance' may vary though the
season.  I'm watching a Cooper's Hawk nest nearby and right now they're not
nearly as tolerant of me as they were last June when the chicks were about
to fledge.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com