[LRflex] Re: formula for lens cleaning fluid

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:56:33 -0800

Steve Barbour asked:
Subject: [LRflex] Re: formula for lens cleaning fluid

 > I love the story about a piece of hot metal ? gouging your front
element....etc...<<<<

Hi Steve,
Oh yeah I forgot about that one! :-) In other words do not work too close to
a welder while he's making sparks usually of molten metal flying through the
air. :-(

I wanted a nice tight shot, so I had a 28mm on an R camera of some sort and
was in really close to all the flying stuff, obviously not thinking about
any of it landing on the front element.

Well it did and burnt a zit right into the glass! My first reaction was...
"SH.. ruined lens!" :-(  Nope it worked just fine zit and all. Anyway I
thought I should sell it more from a psychological thing than actual fault
to be seen in Kodachromes or 16X20 B&W prints.

One day a guy asked if I had any lenses for sale? Yeah a 28mm, I didn't say
anything about the zit because it was so obvious I figured he'd see it, ask
about it  and probably wouldn't buy it.  He didn't see it, I didn't say
anything, he got a good price and I bought a new 28mm. :-) As far as I know
he was happy as all get out buying a lens at a good price and never ever
mentioned the zit at any time I saw him in the future.

The lesson here is... dust, zits and crap right on the front element quite
often don't affect the cutting edge of the lens unless it's very very bad.
That's why when I tell photographers shooting  from behind a wire fence as
in baseball from behind the umpire, put the lens right at the fence so that
the lens barrel is touching the fence, aperture wide open or maybe one stop
down and "YOU WILL NOT SEE THE WIRES COVERING OVER THE FRONT ELEMENT!!"
Works best with any lens 100mm or longer. Done it hundreds and hundreds of
times shooting Little League baseball mostly with 400mm and some
professional games.

cheers,
ted