[LRFlex] Re: a (gasp!) Brand 'N' user in our midst!

  • From: Kevin Mayo <mayokevin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 04:16:50 -0700 (PDT)

I've never been to Mayo Landing like many Americans the family name was
shortened it was Mailloux. The family moved down from Canada to work in the
factories in Central Mass. My main body is a F3 MD4 combo with a F2s for lenses
I have 24mm f2.8, 35 f1.4, 50mm's 1 f2.0 & f1.4, 105mm f2.5 and the old 80 to
200 F4.5. Besides my first R body I need a scanner to post some shots. In the
spring I hope fatten the wallet up enough to make the Leica Leap
Kevin

David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kevin Mayo said (three times, no less!):

David you are correct it isKevin Mayo. I have your web site booked marked. I am
on the Nikon MF list with Alex Hurst I followed his site to yours. I currently
only have Nikon MF I am thinking of adding a Leica R. I hope topick up some
valuable info and insights while on the list. I won't have tomuch to chime in I
don't have much expertise on Leica. I shoot mostly scenics and outdoors. My new
favorite film is Velvia100.

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for responding!  Good to have you here. :)

So, does your family have it's roots in Mayo Landing?  Hmmm... I actually lived
in Mayo Landing for a while, but I don't recall meeting you...   :(

(For those who don't know - which may include Kevin - Mayo Landing (population
7) is just down the road from Mayo, Yukon, which has a somewhat larger
population - oh, maybe 30.)

Seriously, I used to shoot Nikon MF - an old 'F' (bought new) - for many years
and loved it.  My favourite lens was the old 85mm f1.8.  Great bokeh! Heck, I
even have a Brand 'N' shot on my site!

My story of switching to Leica is long (and found in the archives) but if
you're like me, once you've tried Leica Glass, you'll never go back.  There is
a saturation to the colours and a contrast to photos that's tough to match, let
alone beat.

I guess the difference between Nikon, Cannon, Minolta and a whole raft of
others, is that each of them has come up with some brilliant lenses... each the
equal of their Leitz/Leica counterparts. The others, are usually good, but...

The difference is that Leica do it virtually every time. I don't know of a dog
in the line. True, the old lenses are not as good as the new ones, but compared
to  the competition when they were new, they stood head and shoulders above the
crowd.

My advice to you?  Stay tuned, there's a lot of knowledge here.  Ask
questions... there's a lot of help here.  But don't go out and try a Leica for
yourself until your wallet is 'comfortable'.  The stuff isn't cheap (though it
can be done on a tight budget.. I'm an expert on that end of it!) but once
you're used to it, you'll never go back to any of the Japanese brands.

Meanwhile, post a few of your best shots on a website somewhere and post the
URL's so we can  have a look!  If they're good, you'll get praise (always good
for the ego!)  If not so good, you'll generally find people will try to gently
point you in the direction of improvement. I promise you, nobody will give you
(too much of) a hard time.... we're a very civilized group!  ;-)

So, what Nikon do you shoot with?

Again, glad to have you here!  :)

David.

PS: If you find delays in any replies, it's because that nothing from Freelists
(this or the LEG) has arrived on my door since 11AM this morning.  Finally I
had time to go and read the archives to see your posts!  Physician - heal
thyself!

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm