[LRFlex] a (gasp!) Brand 'N' user in our midst!

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:11:52 -0700

Kevin Mayo said (three times, no less!):

David you are correct it is Kevin Mayo. I have your web site booked marked. I
am on the Nikon MF list with Alex Hurst I followed his site to yours. I
currently only have Nikon MF I am thinking of adding a Leica R. I hope to pick
up some valuable info and insights while on the list. I won't have to much to
chime in I don't have much expertise on Leica. I shoot mostly scenics and
outdoors. My new favorite film is Velvia 100.

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for responding!  Good to have you here. :)

So, does your family have it's roots in Mayo Landing? Hmmm... I actually lived in Mayo Landing for a while, but I don't recall meeting you... :(

(For those who don't know - which may include Kevin - Mayo Landing (population 7) is just down the road from Mayo, Yukon, which has a somewhat larger population - oh, maybe 30.)

Seriously, I used to shoot Nikon MF - an old 'F' (bought new) - for many years and loved it. My favourite lens was the old 85mm f1.8. Great bokeh! Heck, I even have a Brand 'N' shot on my site!

My story of switching to Leica is long (and found in the archives) but if you're like me, once you've tried Leica Glass, you'll never go back. There is a saturation to the colours and a contrast to photos that's tough to match, let alone beat.

I guess the difference between Nikon, Cannon, Minolta and a whole raft of others, is that each of them has come up with some brilliant lenses... each the equal of their Leitz/Leica counterparts. The others, are usually good, but...

The difference is that Leica do it virtually every time. I don't know of a dog in the line. True, the old lenses are not as good as the new ones, but compared to the competition when they were new, they stood head and shoulders above the crowd.

My advice to you? Stay tuned, there's a lot of knowledge here. Ask questions... there's a lot of help here. But don't go out and try a Leica for yourself until your wallet is 'comfortable'. The stuff isn't cheap (though it can be done on a tight budget.. I'm an expert on that end of it!) but once you're used to it, you'll never go back to any of the Japanese brands.

Meanwhile, post a few of your best shots on a website somewhere and post the URL's so we can have a look! If they're good, you'll get praise (always good for the ego!) If not so good, you'll generally find people will try to gently point you in the direction of improvement. I promise you, nobody will give you (too much of) a hard time.... we're a very civilized group! ;-)

So, what Nikon do you shoot with?

Again, glad to have you here!  :)

David.

PS: If you find delays in any replies, it's because that nothing from Freelists (this or the LEG) has arrived on my door since 11AM this morning. Finally I had time to go and read the archives to see your posts! Physician - heal thyself!

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm