[LRFlex] Re: Traveling Telyt

  • From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:45:44 -0500

Doug -

Your setup sounds way better for active shooting with the SL/400 rig. I spent as much as I did on the lens on having custom designed sheaths built for that purpose; none of them really made it.

I'll tellya, though, in the improvised casing I described the inch-and-a-half of foam wrapped around the lens (plus an equivalent disc in the bottom of the tubular bag) really gives me the confidence to throw the thing around in transit...

Bob Palmieri

On May 24, 2005, at 4:18 PM, Douglas Herr wrote:

Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Got an old tripod bag, rolled up a piece of foam rubber into a tube for
a shock lining and enclosed it in a huge heavy-gauge zip-lock kinda bag
that I got from a surplus place here in town so that the lens would
slip in & out easily.

My solution was a home-made custom-fitted sleeve of padded cloth with a cut-out for the shoulder stock; a fastex buckle at the open end of the cut-out holds the sleeve on the lens. Any time I need the lens I unclip the buckle, let the sleeve drop off, and it's ready to go! A camera can stay on the lens when it's sleeved: the camera also has a padded cover, this one secured with a couple strips of Velcro. A tug on the bottom flap and the camera's cover is off. It keeps the camera and lens protected from mist, light rain, moderate dust, and the bumps and scrapes normally encountered when hiking, bushwhacking and rock clambering, keeping it accessible within a second or two.