[LRflex] Re: The Works

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:01:49 +0100

The number of times I've used the terminal-to-terminal monorail at Gatwick Airport, I'd probably be able to afford an M9 :-)

I spent a couple of years working close by and living in Horley, at the other side of the airport - at least four trips a day over the whole period and then extras for my weekly flights home.

Used to love the "flower duet" from Lakme by Leo Delibes that British Airways used in their ads, but they played it incessantly over the PA system of the monorail, so now it drives me mad. :-)

Cheers
Douglas

Charlie Falke wrote:
William B. Abbott III wrote:
Charlie, Walt, Doug,

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've riden one of those people-movers, traveling to and from Dulles Airport in Washington for over a decade, back when it was brand new.
Bill,
   I love Saarinen's work as well, I was very relieved that his
terminal for TWA at JFK seems to be relatively safe.  I was brought
up in NYC and saw it a lot.
   People movers are fine, the ones at Dulles look very awkward
with the rhino horns for the lift cylinders.  The ones at Paris Roissy
use a scissors lift and look less goofy.  Of course if you
have a short connection, one may wish for the ugly tube to bolt
through. :-)
--
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
                                                 | __/\__/------/__)
                                                 |(____\/_________/
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
  one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
begin:vcard
fn:Douglas M. Sharp
n:Sharp;Douglas M.
org:30629 Hannover, Germany;Annette-Kolb-Strasse 29
email;internet:Douglas.Sharp@xxxxxx
title:G2E Translations
tel;work:0049 0511 9585565
version:2.1