[LRflex] Re: Sarkozy's Cat, difference of view from a Tamron and a Vario Elmar

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:21:55 +0200

Hi Xavier,

this is a very interesting and telling demonstration.
The Leica zoom is way better in terms of definition - I don't know if the circumstances of the shoot are the same (diaph, vitesse, ISO, etc.), but the picture looks crisper, the details finer; way better.
You seems to enjoy your gear a lot.

Sunny weekend? Time for a stroll in Paris, and for a harvest of pixles to share. :-D

BTW - did you get the white balance adjusted automatically or have you fine-tuned it?

Wating for news and pixes.
Amitiés
Philippe

Bille Xavier F. wrote:

Hello Gents
Latest news, as I could not crack the SilkyPix Protection :( and due to the high value of Euro, I bought a full home version..... Although one find good tips in the manual, reading it is compulsory as the software is not intuitive. Er, the MMI is disposed a different way from common softwares. I had a couple of RAW, one from the SP Tamron and the other from the Vario Elmar. Against all odds, the Tamron is not that bad (it was really OK with a film base) but in digital, the Vario Elmar shows it off. The picture is my neighbour's balcony decoration, we call it Sarko's Cat, be warned, each are 2 meg. With the Tamron SP:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Test/_1020267_dev_SP_NK.jpg

With the Vario Elmar 80-200
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Test/_1020264_dev_vario_NK.jpg
Both were processed in silkypix the same way. My conclusions? The Tamron SP is giving chromatic blurried edges and there is a slight color cast while the colors are better rendered by the vario Elmar and the edges are sharp. In fact Silky pix can dissolve a lot of blurr and chromatic aberration. To see what I mean you need to look closely at the pine cone in the bottom of the image. And the image has been worked out. the original image from Tamron showed a lot more defaults in the details. To demonstrate the power of Silkypix, I have reworked the image of last week, here is the picture from the Digilux, downsized to 220K:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Test/_1020584_cor.jpg
and here is the noise cleaned picture from SilkyPix, off the RAW file, 575K:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Test/_1020584_dev.jpg
Promise, I won't bug you again with these tests, however, for me, the power of the post processing is a discovery
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Check it out! <http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx%20>