[LRflex] "Salud" to Robert Doisneau (1912 --1994)

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:40:02 -0700

"Buonasera" Philippe, Fabio and fellow Leica photogs.....Well, are you
ready?.......

Here are my 'tribute' photos to Robert Doisneau, esp. his famous but
posed "Kiss @ City Hall" that was sold in 2005 for a quarter million
USD.  My favorite genre is to record our collective human experience,
and here is one aspect of it represented in the following 4 shots.
They were all taken at dusk in Florence on March 14 '07 with a
Tri-Elmar on Kodak Ultracolor 400UC film, then scanned into TIFF at
the drugstore's Fuji Frontier and converted to JPG at home.  I also
applied the free version of Neat Image to reduce noise.

They were all taken on the bridge parallel (i.e. next bridge) to Ponte
Vecchio on River Arno. Fabio, perhaps you have the name of this bridge
that seems to inspire so much romance at sunset.

1. http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Florence/Kiss01web_001.jpg.ht=
ml
I was nearly run over while standing in the middle of the road to take
this shot:
Admittedly my zone focussing was not so good.....I didn't have time to
accurately focus the Tri-Elmar with the rangefinder due to oncoming
traffic.

2. http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Florence/Kiss03web_001.jpg.ht=
ml
Passion inspires spontaneity.  They were oblivious to the world.

3. http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Florence/Kiss02.jpg.html
May I add that they were oblivious to the world.....for a long time.

4. http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Florence/Kiss04web_001.jpg.ht=
ml
No AF on a Hexar RF rangefinder, so zone focussing was again needed
for fast response.  The pair noticed me right after I took this shot,
and they giggled, but I may have spoilt their moment and can't help
feeling like a paparazzo.

I fully expect all kinds of C&C (critiques & comments), esp. this time ;-) =
!
~ Eric Chan

(P.S. Thanks to this list, I got to learn about Neat Image and Silky
Pix. Eventually I will have to re-scan these because I noticed
greenish fringing at high magnification, which becomes more evident if
desaturated to B&W. So much for TIFF at the drugstore!)

    * From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    * To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    * Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:55:03 +0200

Please do Eric - Le baiser de l'H=F4tel de Ville was a masterpiece as many
of us know it, even though it was staged and paid for - and I guess your
photos will have more sincerity in them, so please DO post them, will you?
Thaks in anticipation
Yours
Phil...x