[LRflex] Re: Rawshooter? Now, with FASTSTONE, too!

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 18:03:38 -0800

pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I have tested the best known RAW converters. My top choices are Capture One
>and
>SilkyPix. You will fine more details and examples in the "DMR RAW Converters"
>thread on the Leica-Camera site:
>http://www.leica-camera.com/discus_e/messages/3/180750.html?1134583019
>
>Although the tests were made with the DMR, the results should be applicable to
>other camera types, as well.
>
>Peter Werner
>Bursins/VD
>Switzerland

Good Evening, Peter!

Thanks, so much, for the pointer.  Silkypix has the ring of some
Japanese programming... and the 16,000 Yen price is a dead give-away, too!

However, you are right. SilkyPix is, indeed, an excellent RAW
converter... definitely superior (at least with my 20D) to RawShooter
Essentials.  And RSE is considerably superior to the EOS Viewer which
came with the 20D.  I've now removed the EOS viewer from my computer.

So far, I've only used in in FREE mode, but will try the 14 day trial
when I return from holidays, in late January.  If it works as well as I
think, I'll ship off my money to them.

Thanks again, for the heads up! :-)

BTW: for those looking for a good, fast, RAW (and every other format)
viewer, the FASTSTONE image viewer is excellent ... and free!
http://www.faststone.org/  It supports all the usual formats (tif, jpg,
png, etc.) plus the following RAW formats (CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW,
ORF and DNG).  DM-R users, note the DNG support!

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm