[LRflex] Re: R3 not working well in cold weather

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:00:06 +0100

 ;-)
ph

Miha Golobic wrote:

        Wine cells - temperature never gets too low underground - and
        alcohol freezes below 0 celcius, the stronger the wine, the
        more resistant ( -40 to 50 degree proof for spirits?)

Ha Ha, I was referring to WeinCell (correctly spelled) batteries...My Leicaflex came with the mercury cell - a very old one, I guess, but it still works. Bought a WeinCell a few weeks ago, just in case ... Miha

2008/12/27 Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx <mailto:philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>>

    The very same Steve - thanks for the celebration - which gives me
    ideas, before the month is out  ;-)
    Amitiés
    ph

    Steve Barbour wrote:

        On Dec 27, 2008, at 6:11 AM, Miha Golobic wrote:

            Ros,

            it is probably the shutter. Last weekend I have been
            shooting with  my R3 (ex-Philippe`s camera)

        http://www.pbase.com/kididdoc/image/103123242/original

        this camera Miha ?

        this is Philippe at the shrine, blessing it...

        Steve

            in Salzburg and Chimsee at freezing weather. I don`t know
            the exact  temperatures, but hat and gloves were
            mandatory! The camera felt  fine on two LR 44 alkaline
            batteries for 12 hours hanging off my  neck (but my neck
            didn`t ;-)).

            BTW, does anybody know how do Wein cells cope with the
            cold waether?

            Best Regards,
            Miha

            2008/12/26 Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx
            <mailto:philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>>
            Ron,

            I had this problem a couple of years ago and it was solved
            by a nice  cleaning by a local technician - the shutter
            got gummed up? or  'gommé' and was caused by old
            grease/oil/lubricant - worked  perfectly afterwards.
            It cost me 30 euros at the time.
            If the camera perfomrs ok at room temperature, that will
            be the  first cause to investigate after ageing batteries.
            Wish you good luck.
            Phx

            Ross Wilson wrote:

            I've recently started having issues with my trusty R3 in
            cold  weather (when it gets to zero degrees). When on auto
            mode the  shutter stays open for around 4 or 5 seconds.
            It's as if the  batteries are not working properly. I
            replaced the batteries but the  problem still persists in
            cold conditions.

            Has anybody else experienced these problems? Is there an
            easy  solution? I read somewhere that replacing the two
            silver oxide  batteries with one lithium type might help,
            does anyone have  experience of this?

            Thanks for any info

            Ron