[LRflex] Re: R3 not working well in cold weather

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:35:50 +0100

Hi Miha - happy to learn my former pet fares well in your hands.  :-)

Wine cells - temperature never gets too low underground - and alcohol freezes below 0 celcius, the stronger the wine, the more resistant ( -40 to 50 degree proof for spirits?)

Enjoy Austria - a most wonderful country at any time.
Bien amicalement Philippe

Miha Golobic wrote:

Ros,
it is probably the shutter. Last weekend I have been shooting with my R3 (ex-Philippe`s camera) in Salzburg and Chimsee at freezing weather. I don`t know the exact temperatures, but hat and gloves were mandatory! The camera felt fine on two LR 44 alkaline batteries for 12 hours hanging off my neck (but my neck didn`t ;-)). BTW, does anybody know how do Wein cells cope with the cold waether? Best Regards,
Miha

2008/12/26 Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx <mailto:philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>>

    Ron,

    I had this problem a couple of years ago and it was solved by a
    nice cleaning by a local technician - the shutter got gummed up?
    or 'gommé' and was caused by old grease/oil/lubricant - worked
    perfectly afterwards.
    It cost me 30 euros at the time.
    If the camera perfomrs ok at room temperature, that will be the
    first cause to investigate after ageing batteries.
    Wish you good luck.
    Phx

    Ross Wilson wrote:

        I've recently started having issues with my trusty R3 in cold
        weather (when it gets to zero degrees). When on auto mode the
        shutter stays open for around 4 or 5 seconds. It's as if the
        batteries are not working properly. I replaced the batteries
        but the problem still persists in cold conditions.

        Has anybody else experienced these problems? Is there an easy
        solution? I read somewhere that replacing the two silver oxide
        batteries with one lithium type might help, does anyone have
        experience of this?

        Thanks for any info

        Ron