[LRflex] Re: Odd Lens Adapter Query (Was Re: OK Andy - Images)

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 23:46:45 +0100

Richard,
there's nothing at all wrong with the CY to EOS adapters I have - from
Huppert in Germany (rumoured to be machined from phosphor bronze by
either Zeiss themselves or Novoflex) and the adapters with and without
focus confirmation chips from Enjoyyourcamera.com, which are (I think)
solid brass.

Both adapter types are very well made and a perfect fit - in fact the
lens mount tolerances of CY lenses vary so you may have to bend the
spring-steel locking strip a little to get it to lock properly into the
appropriate bayonet notch. I've used them with Zeiss and Yashica lenses
from 21 to a very heavy 300 mm Tele-Tessar without any problems. The
qulity has been excellent, even for critical situations like macro work
with a Yashica 2.8/55 (an excellent lens, by the way).

You can see the results from the Tele-Tessar here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Transport/planes/Aerobatics_2007/
almost all shot wide open (f4) at ISO equivalent 400 on a Canon 20D

So far, the only adapter I've had any problems with has been a Rollei
QBM to EOS from enjoyyourcamera where the tab that depresses the
aperture pin broke off - there are also tolerance differences between
German and Singapore lenses for Rollei that are no fault of the adapters.

So far I have used after-market adapters for the following lenses on EOS
cameras:

Canon FD with and without correction lens, Topcon/Exakta (doesn't focus
to infinity, but the Topcon 1.8/58 makes a superb  close-up lens),
Pentax K - needed the locking tabs opening up a tiny bit for a tight
fit, M42, Leica-R, Olympus M, Rollei QBM (Kindai is as good asperfect,
others are not quite so good), Contax/Yashica, T2 and Tamron Adaptall II
and adapters for Leica-R and Contax/Yashica lenses to Leica-M, and even
M39 to M42.

I don't have either Nikon or Minolta lenses, so I haven't tried adapters
for those.

Cheers
Douglas