[LRflex] NPR "All Things Considered" (Leica) / JOBO Film Development

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:23:41 -0800

Hi Richard and Doug,

That NPR segment must have been music to your ears!  There is an
'underground' movement that is gaining numbers, and I am not surprised
that this movement is now resurfacing with enough pressure to get
Kodak and Fuji to respond!

Since 2004 I have heard many pro's either lamenting selling off all
their film gear, or coming back to film with previous/new gear more
recently.  Now serious amateurs either never gave up film or are
wanting to rediscover the 'Best of Both Worlds' with film and
scanning.

Doug, I'm sure you will enjoy the "Path of JOBO Home Development".  If
I shot more E6, I would do the same, but I don't.

FYI all - Just this most recent issue of American Photographer has a
new full page Ad of the "New" KODAK Portra with even finer grain, the
so-called "Micro-Structure Optimized T-GRAIN(r) Emulsions".  I am sure
they are reacting to the hybrid users (like many of us) who scan films
into post-processing by Photoshop....and Doug, if you are behind the
driver's seat during development, it may be worth checking out Kodak's
Advanced Development Accelerators that optimize emulsions for scans.

Interestingly also, Fuji has announced the rebirth of Velvia 50 in
late Spring 2007.  It too is 'springing back' with a different
emulsion structure but same color characteristics as the old version.

Film is Dead, Long Live Film!

~ Eric Chan

From: "Richard Palmer" <vicmalta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex]   NPR "All Things Considered" (Leica)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 22:07:54 -0500

Tonight my usual cold dark commute home was made a little
warmer and brighter. The closing segment on "All Things Considered"
had a few callers talking about their favorite gadgets. A guy by the name
(I believe),of Frank Lupo from Baltimore Maryland ,said, that his favorite
gadget was the motor winder on his 70year old Leica. He didn't say what model.
However his explained to the audience what it did. When he mentioned that it
advanced the film and cocked the shutter, he couldn't resist
quipping, "Remember Film?".
He then let us here its marvelous sound. He also said that he is a
commercial photographer.

Richard Palmer
vicmalta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.