[LRFlex] Re: More Steam/Bunch of Allards

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:52:13 +0200

Bonjour Xavier, ca va?,
I have a couple of shots of the footplate/cab/cockpit which I haven't
posted yet. Yes, the weather was very bright with
light clouds, sometimes very difficult to get a decent balance of colour
in the shots. In addition, steam locomotives are very dark
subjects which also makes exposure metering problematic. I'll have to
buy a graduated filter some day.
The British are so crazy about these machines that they were even asking
the engine drivers and firemen for autographs on their
tickets.
By the way I had some problems with the Leica motor drive on my R7, it
shot pictures in series when I changed the metering mode,
I lost nearly 2 whole films, very good pictures of the sky, my feet, my
camera bag etc. This is probably going to be another
expensive repair job.
Just as a matter of interest, the shot "Black Five 45407" shows the
replacement locomotive for the "Flying Scotsman" which broke down,
this Black Five can also be seen in the shots from Grosmont Sheds, being
cleaned, fuelled and pulled by a diesel-electric, before
being hired out to pull a train from York to Scarborough.Apparently it
takes 2 days to get an steam engine prepared for running and then
a special permit has to be applied for to run on commercial mainline
track.They managed to do all this within 3 days, in Germany it would
probably have taken 3 months.
Cheers
Douglas

Bille Xavier F. schrieb:

Dear Douglas.

It is a very good collection, well framed. It reminds me of my time, but I already said that....

The car collection is quite impressive.

As for the steam engines, in those events, it is really a pity one cannot jump on it to make a picture of the cockpit.

The images are very contrasty. weather was cloudy?

Cheers.

---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,LeicaReflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LUC <luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,MUG <MUGers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRFlex] More Steam/Bunch of Allards
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:21:10 +0200

Hello everyone,
Back from a 3 week vacation in the UK with a whole bunch of new steam
locomotive images.
I wanted to get the "Flying Scotsman" on film but it went and broke down
(again), the steam special was pulled by a "Black Five"
which I had shot the week before, and the weather wasn't too spectacular
on that day either, so only 1 shot of the arrival in Scarborough.
All the others were shot at Grosmont, the terminus, sheds,coaling
facilities, and workshops of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, and at
Goathland, the only station on the line where two trains can pass each
other. Goathland is well known to TV viewers in the UK for the series
Heartbeat (Aidensfield) and is known the world over as "Hogsmeade"
station in the Harry Potter films. The line and rolling stock has also
been used in many other period or wartime film scenes.

The last few shots may warm the hearts of fans of  British sportscars -
a whole bevy of Allards and a strange "Bentford". I know absolutely
zero about this car, looks like a hybrid of about half a dozen others.
http://www.leica-gallery.net/dm-sharp/image-71396.html  Start here
or to view the whole lot at one go
http://www.leica-gallery.net/dm-sharp/folder-6791.html
or only the cars, start here
http://www.leica-gallery.net/dm-sharp/image-71395.html
comments, criticism etc as always very welcome.
Regards to all
Douglas
PS I did all of these on my notebook so the quality may not be up to
scratch, my CRT monitor is knackered and today is Sunday, so I'll
probably Photoshop a few of them next week and re-post them when I get a
new one..

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm

-- Ihre bevorzugten Shops, hilfreiche Einkaufs-Hilfen und großartige Geschenk Ideen. Erleben Sie das Vergnügen online einzukaufen mit Shop@Netscape! http://shopping.netscape.de/shopping/