[LRflex] Re: Lympa Lives!

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:42:35 -0800

Gary wrote:

Congratulations, David! I don't think that the Olympus Zuiko optics will disappoint you, not even after years of having Leica glass as the standard. I finally held an E-3 a couple weeks ago at Samy's Camera in Santa Barbara (they have moved into a HUGE new store there). The heft felt fine, but for me the brighter viewfinder does not make up for the lack of the fast Live View Mode A like on my E-330. The E-3 "Mode B" gives live view, but with considerable shutter lag. Somebody said that with the new E-3, Olympus was being "retrograde" - I agree. However, the E-3 looks great if your primary focus was on action, such as sports or wildlife, where you primarily will be using the optical finder.

Hi Gary!

One man's floor is another man's ceiling. Like Doug Herr, I value a bright, clear finder above nearly all else, in a camera. The problem with Live View "A" mode, is that there is a second sensor in the viewfinder ... which means that light must be siphoned off to feed that sensor, resulting in a dimmer finder. I think that Olympus realized that to compete with "pro" level cameras, they had to have the brighter finder, and thus went "retrograde" with "B" mode only.

For myself, this is not a problem, but rather, a huge advantage. I would normally only use Live View when doing studio work on a tripod. The shutter lag, in such cases, is not a problem. If I were to find that I really needed "A" mode, I'd buy a second body for that purpose.

Steve Barbour recently ordered the focus-confirm FourThirds adapter, too, so I will be curious how that works out for both of you.

I'll be sure to let you know. The firm I ordered mine from claims that it will allow FC down to f8... f22 in really bright daylight! We'll see....

I love my Vario-Elmarit 70-180/2.8 on the E-330, but accurate focus can be a pain in some situations.

Yes, I'll bet you do! Like it's baby brother, the 80~200/f4, it is a stupendous lens ... better than any zooms (including the Zuiko ones) I've ever seen.

Wonderful sharpness in the cat photo! What was the second Zuiko lens you bought?

I bought the 12~60mm f2.8~f4, that Steve has. It seems to be a great lens, but I "see" long, and suspect that the 50~200 will get more use. I've also ordered the 1.4x converter ... it should be here Monday. Have you any experience with the 2x converter?