[LRflex] Lympa Lives!

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:26:20 -0800

Gary Todoroff has praised the performance of the Lympa for a long time now. And the recent E3 shots posted by Steve Barbour have also been of exceptional quality.

So much so, that I just had to take a look at the new Olympus E-3.

I went, last Wednesday, to the store, intending to add two Canon lenses to my LeiCanon 30D. I walked out with the E3 and two Oly lenses, instead!

Is it perfection? I doubt it. But it has the brightest, easiest to see finder I've used since the R8/9. Very easy on my failing eyeballs. :-) It's large, but comfortable to hold (even Rose finds it a delight, despite it's weight.) And the lenses are incredibly bulky for a small sensor'd camera. But the optics appear to be very close to Leica's, and the build quality of both lenses and body seems excellent.

The 50~200 f2.8~3.5 zoom is incredibly good and with the 1.4x converter (on it's way to me, as I write) will yield a FOV equivalent to a 560 f4.5 AF lens! And the Telyt will work, with focus confirmation (or at least, it will, as soon as my FC-Leica-R to 4/3rds adapter arrives) & IS!

Yes, Doug, I know.... Manual focus is still better, but my eyes are getting to a state where my failure rate with MF is huge! AF seems the way for me to go, and the R10 + all new Leica glass is beyond my financial reach.

For those who are interested, a 1/2 size jpg is at http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Riff.htm This shot was taken, hand held, at 200mm at 1/45th of a second. I'm quite pleased with it!

Be warned that this is a 1.5mb jpg ... so you'll need either high-speed internet access, or a lot of patience!

More, of course, to follow.