[LRflex] Re: Lens

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 15:16:59 -0500

Doug,
    you're spot on regarding the fact that ALL the lenses Available
for the NIkCan Cameras (with a few probable exceptions) will have
problems measuring up to some facet or another when benchmarked
against a Leica R lens. The Zeiss Manual Focus Lenses with their
assorted 'AF' Camera Mounts are something I would NOT include in that
blanket statement due to their unique situation and placements.
However, I think that the lamenting of how the 'AF lenses come up
Short Against R Glass' can also be 'almost' equally as true from a
Nikon AIS User, A Canon FD User, A Contax Manual Focus User, an
Olympus Manual Focus User, and so on because the 'user experience' of
nearly all AF lenses doesn't measure up well against Non-AF Lenses.
There IS a reason Zeiss is being successful with their Non AF Lenses
with AF Mounts. Although I will attest that I've personally handled
some L lenses which measured up wonderfully well in handling, in
manual focusing, & in zooming. There have also been some STUNNING
Telephoto Zooms put out by Nikon and Canon recently, Nikon has some
Wide and Ultra-Wide Zooms which easily push Prime Lenses around IQ
wise, and Canon has 'FINALLY' begun upgrading their Wide Angle Primes
and Zooms.
    As for the person who slammed the EOS 24mm f1.4L on overall image
quality (and accurately so!)- I would point out that even Leica (and
at stunning price points) has tremendous difficulty getting Summilux
Wide Angles to compete against lenses with apertures 1, 2, even 3
stops slower - Unless you're the DOD, CIA, or NSA, with billions to
burn - a world beating wide angle f1.4 lens that fits in one's hand is
a very lofty goal to reach.
    Being Orphaned off by Leica as SLR Users is quite a difficult
challenge to overcome on an operational basis.

I would like to note that I did label all my website recommendations
as 'resources' to be utilized and NOT one stop, yes/no, buy this/not
that, places to choose equipment. I recommended downloading the 'image
samples' at dpReview because you can then 'judge for yourself' and not
choose based on text on a page or lines on one of their graphs. I
recommended photozone.de with the caveat that it leans towards being
Measurebator Pornography in some regards. The POTN link was thoroughly
caveated as to being quite variable in the quality of images shown
there. I DEFINITELY think Sean Read's website is a fabulous RESOURCE
and can really help, but only in so far as the Equipment He's Reviewed
and to the Extent his Tests Apply For Doug as An Individual. Luminous
Landscape is much less a 'testing' resource, but the info, opinion,
and equipment comparisons/contextualizations they offer is of value in
my opinion.

I don't envy Doug's Position attempting to transition from R/DMR
Combination to a Nikon or a Canon Option. I would say that the
'newest' N and C Tele Primes and Zooms are getting some fabulous
praise from most quarters. Hopefully he can find a home there, or
adapt his own glass to one of their bodies in a useful way.

Richard in Michigan

ps: Ken Rockwell's Opinions & Facts may be correct, or accurate, or
maybe his data is even utterly perfect for that matter - But I have
difficulty being in the company of the writings of someone who easily
reaches for dismissiveness, negativity, and utter black/white single
minded focus statements. There seems to be a lack of shades of grey in
things he professes to the world. In my experience, such a lack is
more often than not a bad thing. I defer from participating at Ken's
site, others may judge for themselves.