[LRflex] Re: Leica to abandon 4/3rds - how good will a Leica R AF system be??

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:39:34 +0100

Douglas wrote:

Alex,
the way I see it is that the only solution to the Leica Quality/Fast Digital Obsolence dilemma is a high quality body with exchangable digital hardware - think along the lines of different sensors, processors etc. If you can change focusing screens, why can't you have plug and play sensors and other chips?

Absolutely - they seem to be doing it with lens adaptors already.

OTOH the camera makers don't want to sell you new bits, but new bodies..... :-(

Pity it wasn't Rollei taking this path, their 3003, if developed further, would have made an ideal platform for digital photography.

Weren't there interchangeable sensor backs for the latest Hassies at the last Photokina (which, sadly, you didn't make)?

The other piece of kit that never came anywhere near making it to the market was substitute 'virtual film' - drop in the sensor. processor and card in place of a film cassette and the protruding tongue of film. As I remember there was some vapourware knocking around, but nothing ever came of it. Wonder if it could be resurrected as technology has moved on a bit?

Best

Alex

--
Alex & Carmel Hurst