[LRflex] Leica to abandon 4/3rds - how good will a Leica R AF system be??

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 07:50:19 -0700

Morning David!
The sun is shining in Vancouver this morning and all is right with the world. But, I haven't had my first coffee yet and that may make me more curmudgeonly than usual when I offer the following comment. Basis my experience with the M8 (dead shutter after 4 months, pixel lines in the replacement 23 days after receiving it) I would not rush to buy the R10 no matter what its specs. Also, based on Leica's history of slow development and not being competitive with the latest and fastest technology - especially in the R line - I am very skeptical that their autofocus will be up to competing with the latest from Canon and Nikon. If Leica is abandoning 4/3rds where will they turn for AF expertise? Panasonic - not a tech leader in reflex AF. If Leica uses 4/3rds AF expertise then it will use Oly expertise as a starting point. I have an Oly E3 and in terms of autofocus it is not there yet either compared to the latest offerings form Canon and Nikon - although in many ways it is an exemplary camera - especially compared to its predecessors. I expect the R10 will have focusing performance like a Canon 60D or Nikon D100 - which is two generations behind the latest standards - so I likely will wait for the R11 or R12 - if Leica sustains the R line long enough to build them. I hope I am proven wrong at Photokina but I doubt it. Sigh!
Must go for coffee.
Cheers
Howard

Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 20:34:11 -0700
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Leica to abandon 4/3rds?

At 27/05/2008, you wrote:
Those would be my requirements, also, unless they dream up something
even more exciting that I can't think of now.  Nice and simple
controls. Give me an R8/9 with digital sensor. That would be perfect.

Way back in '06, I told Steven Lee that if he could build an R10 in
an R9 sized body, with an M8 sensor, at a near M8 price, I'd be first
one standing in line.  I still feel that way.

Cheers