[LRflex] Re: Leica lens on Olympus adapters - revisited.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 17:32:19 -0700

Charlie Falke wrote:

For those who own, or who are thinking of purchasing an Olympus E3 to back their Leica glass, may find this page most interesting. For others it will merely be a curiosity.

Either way, it's available at: <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/Links/OFC-1.htm>http://www.main.furnfeather.net/Links/OFC-1.htm

   Thanks for collecting all this information.
Quite a pile of issues!

Unfortunately so, Charlie.

If the Dandelion would work, it would be the perfect solution. I suspect that they had it working with the earlier Olys; and when the E3 came along, something changed in Oly's design, and the adapter is reset, by this.

There is a signal which will cause the lens to reset to Infinity, when the camera is turned off ... but you can disable that in the menus, and the chip still suffers the problem. My first chip is back in Moscow, and I wonder if I'll ever see the thing again! However, the chap seems both talented and ambitious, and so I think they'll do a revision ... version 4 to come?

At least I got to keep the fotodiox adapter ... and so I'm only out about $60 or so, for both chips. It won't force me into bankruptcy. Close, but not all the way!

At the moment, the best (and cheapest!) solution for Oly owners, who wish to use their long Leica glass, is to buy the basic, non-chip adapter and focus manually, forgetting FC. For long lens use, IS is more important than Focus Confirmation, and without the chip, you can set the FL via the menu. Alternately, if FC is important for a particular lens, use the cheap and cheerful, Chinese version - and turn IS off. Just remember to hold the camera steady, like we used to!

The Dandelion, which holds so much promise, just doesn't work - at least not with the E3!

Such a pity.