[LRflex] Leica as a big player, was The DMR as a Collectible

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:35:28 -0800

I am catching up (as usual) with the mail.  Let? see.  So many good points
about the future of an R10 camera and what Leica should turn itself into.
So, why did I buy Leica?  I lusted for 30 years about the quality of the
camera and the lens.  I did not care if it was a minor player.  I seem to
always support the underdog.  I wanted the reliability, the ruggedness, the
excellent build and optics of the lenses.  They are heavy, but that perhaps
it the price to pay for consistent sample after sample quality.

Now project Leica as a major player.  Do they have the ability to transform
themselves to a major player and keep the quality where it is?  Does mass
production, as would be needed in a large market share, equate with lower
quality and consistency?  That is my experience with most things.  I love my
Toyota Camry, but being a Toyota owner for over 20 years I see my latest
Camry, while having more features and being well engineered, does not have
the fit and finish of my earlier models.  Things fall apart more.  Not the
major things, but the trim and other things.  When buying my last one (1999)
all the samples I looked at were this way.  So, will growing too much in
market share be at a cost that us old-timers do not want to pay?

Not sure if I am being clear here.  Leica does need to grow to be
economically viable, but I do not wish them to be #1 ( or 2 or 3 or 4)  at
the cost of the traditional quality that I lusted for, for many years, and
finally could afford.  Autofocus?  At what cost (not just financial).  Fast
motor drive?  At what cost (not just financial)?  Full frame?  At what cost
(not just financial)?  What can they do and still be Leica and not just
another player in the world of photography.  What really matters to enough
people that they can buy Leica and not get what they want from someone else
at any price