[LRFlex] Re: Leica R6 or 6.2 opinions

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:11:52 +0000

My good buddy David wrote in part:

The R8 is considerably larger. And it's styling makes it look much larger than it is! That being said, it's no larger/heavier than an F/Photomic combo, and a helluva lot better.

I'd be interested to weigh a Nikon FTn against an R8. You're probably right. OTOH, of course it's better - it's had the benefit of 40 years of further development.

The R8 has the best finder in the lot, better than anything I've seen out of Canon or Nikon - at any price. Slightly better than the SL's finder and noticeably better than the R3 through R7 finders. As well, it is classed as a High-Eyepoint finder. Not as good (though a lot brighter!) as the Nikon F3-HP finder, but better than just about anything else. I can see the whole finder wearing glasses. Not so easy with the R6/6.2.

Agreed, tho' my SL2 finder gives the R8 a run for its money. The R3 finder is (IMHO) at about the same brightness level (with an f2 on board) as the Nikon F. As regards the F3HP, this is undoubtedly the best finder I've come across on a Nikon. Great eye relief, and very bright with the 85/1.4 Nikkor.

The R6 has noticeable mirror slap. Surprisingly, the R8 does not. Now, I realize that most of the commotion is on the way down, but the R8's mirror is so well damped on the way up, it feels much more like an 'M' when you press the button. And the sound level is the lowest of any SLR I've ever used.

Mirror damping on the 'flexes is pretty good too - these really do have the Leica feel.

<big snip>

However, I found the R8/R6 combination very hard to work with. The switch from the R8 to the R6 was not intuitive. The switch from the R8 to the SL (when using two cameras) was intuitive. That's why I sold my R6 and bought the SL.

The only problem is that the SL, lovely camera that it is, languishes in my kit - rarely used. The R8 is such a joy to use, the SL (as the R6) gets ignored.

But it's a great standby when you drop your R8........ :-)

Best

Alex

-- Alex Hurst Waterfall Nr. Cork Ireland

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
       +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@xxxxxx
Also: corkflor.2@xxxxxxxxxx (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019
   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm