[LRflex] Leica Glass on G1 and D700

  • From: H&ECummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:03:07 +0800

From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Leica Glass on the Pana G1
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:11:16 -0700

I have the sensation with the G1 that focus is uncertain at best,
rarely right on, whereas with the Nikon, it is spot on...

Steve

Hi Steve,
I think your impression may be somewhat influenced by the superlative resolution of Leica R
glass on the impressive CCD of the D700 - but OTOH there is a
grain of truth in your impression too. I wish the G1 had the same auto ISO/
minimum shutter speed settings as the D700 program. That would keep the
shutter speeds up and not make the anti shake OIS work so hard. Some of the softness you see may just be lower shutter speeds for which the OIS doesn't adequately compensate. For example don't use I(ntelligent) Program on the G1 as this limits ISO to a max of 800. Instead use Program and then you can set auto ISO up to
1600 and keep your shutter speeds higher.
Cheers
Howard