[LRflex] Leica Glass on G1 and D700

  • From: H&ECummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:52:06 +0800

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:23:45 +0000 (GMT)
From: "pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx" <pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] AW: Leica Glass on G1 and D700

Hi Howard,

I do not quite follow your reasoning.

I think your impression may be somewhat influenced by the superlative
resolution of Leica R
glass on the impressive CCD of the D700
may just be lower shutter speeds for which the OIS doesn't adequately
compensate.

The OIS works only with Panasonic Lumix lenses, it is not build into the body, unlike Olympus cameras. Therefore there is no possible stabilization with third party lenses. If you use Leica or other lenses via adapters, you are solely responsible for avoiding camera shake, like in the (good) old times before IS was invented.

Also, with 3rd party lenses you have to use the "A" (aperture priority) mode, you cannot use IP mode.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter,
Since I was uploading pictures from the Lumix 45 - 200 when I made the comment I should have clarified that I was talking about the comparison between Leica glass on the D700 and Lumix glass on the G1 - with OIS on. Sorry for my "terminological inexactitute". The mention of IP mode also applies to Lumix lenses as you point out but I also set up a custom program which indicates IP mode with manual focus Leica lenses - at least the IP mode icon light in the view finder when I dial in the custom mode. Perhaps you can duplicate these settings on your G1?
Cheers
Howard