[LRflex] Re: IMGs: Friday: snapping dragons with the 15

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 17:05:55 -0700

Hi George!

> I had two R3-MOTs
> For the years I owned them they just felt fussy; with undependable
> electronics. (compared to my previous SLR experiences - with Nikon and
> Alpa; and definitely not up to the Leica M2, M3, M6 that I'd been using
> since 63) They also didn't feel "wonderful" in my hands.
> When I finally replaced them with the R8 - 'twas like reaching the SLR
> Holy Grail. And I've been in love everyday since - trumps every 35 SLR
> I've owned or borrowed. Everything is exactly where it's supposed to be
> functionally and sensually. Though I've never handled a Flex, SL or SL2 -
> which I've heard are unsurpassed. I've also heard good things about the
> R6 (or was it 6.2)?

I can identify with your feelings regarding the R3. I had one and although it
felt "klunky" in the hand, it never let me down, except for one, very annoying
problem.

The exposure meter had no limits, so if, in "A" mode,  the camera needed to go
above 1/1000th, instead of blinking the VF display, to indicate over-exposure,
or even (gasp!) locking the shutter release, mine would simply "roll over", to
4 seconds exposure and keep on going!

Otherwise, mine proved to be a reliable piece of kit.

Later, I owned the R5 & R6 and both were excellent cameras. But, like you,
heaven was found in the R8.  It's only downfall was the ease with which you
could accidentally switch the mode control.

All it needed was a stiffer "detent", but with the R9, Leica decided to put in
a lock than needed two hands... making it worse than the R8!  So much for
German engineering!

Like you, the R8 trumped everything I've ever owned.  I wish they'd make a
digital version of it!

David.