[LRflex] Re: IMGs: Friday: snapping dragons with the 15

  • From: George Lottermoser <imagist3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 17:15:53 -0500

On Oct 22, 2012, at 3:26 PM, philippe.amard wrote:

> funny - I loved the R3, really - what were the problems?

Too many mis loaded films - when working quickly.
Broken film winding spool while on assignment 1,000 miles from home
(combined with lack of quick fix/replacement/professional-service)
Not the kind of build quality I was used to with Nikon F, Ftn, F2 and 3.
Not as good a viewfinder as the Nikon F - from which I came.

I had two R3-MOTs
For the years I owned them they just felt fussy; with undependable electronics.
(compared to my previous SLR experiences - with Nikon and Alpa;
and definitely not up to the Leica M2, M3, M6 that I'd been using since 63)
They also didn't feel "wonderful" in my hands.
When I finally replaced them with the R8 - 'twas like reaching the SLR Holy
Grail.
And I've been in love everyday since - trumps every 35 SLR I've owned or
borrowed.
Everything is exactly where it's supposed to be functionally and sensually.
Though I've never handled a Flex, SL or SL2 - which I've heard are unsurpassed.
I've also heard good things about the R6 (or was it 6.2)?

All this sort of also plays against and compares to my experiences with:
Bronica
Hasselblad CM
Nikon F, Ftn, F2 F3
Mamiya C2 and 3