[LRflex] IMG: Black Bear

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LeicaReflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:45:39 -0400 (EDT)

I visited Taylor Creek at Lake Tahoe today and found a Black bear hunting
salmon:

http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/carnivores/blbear00.html

The Black Bear is large and powerful, and care should be taken when this animal
is nearby, but it is not as unpredictable as the larger and more dangerous
Grizzly Bear (which is no longer found in California).  The Black Bear evolved
at a time when several larger predators, such as Dire Wolf, Saber-tooth Cat,
and Grizzly Bear, would hunt this species so it still thinks of itself as a
prey animal.  Slow shutter speeds (dark fur and deep shade!) made it difficult
to photograph all of its activities but while I watched the bear ate salmon and
stream veggies.

Technical stuff: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, shoulder stock & monopod.
f/6.8 for DOF, 1/90 sec.

All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento