[LRflex] Re: IMG: Black Bear

  • From: Kevin Willey <kevinwilley@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:05:48 +0200

Doug,

I show all your pictures to my wife, which she always enjoys. A second ulterior motive is garnering her unqualified support for my effort at acquiring a superb Leica 35mm system, as well as a Hasselblad MF film system. So thanks for the help in that secondary regard, it's working.

I'm still continually re-reading my favorite "how to" photography books. Not knowing otherwise, I would have tried a polarizer on the Black Bear shot because of the river. I assume you didn't and that was the right choice. In addition to a losing 2 F-stops against a moving target, what else drove your decision?

I just returned to Germany from a week's vacation in Dubrovnik, Croatia where I shot a lot of pics of the 13th century Old City which is completely walled in by a fortress designed by the most skilled European fortress architects centuries ago. Its beauty is stunning. Thankfully no USA "Golden Arches" to run pics. Developing B&W rolls through my Leica store in Tbingen is 2X expensive so I will mail them to "dR5" in Colorado for developing; also shot Rollei IR 400, Ilford HP5 Plus, TRI-X, and Velvia 50. Eager to determine which B&W film/s I enjoy and then stick primarily with them.

Thanks for sharing your naturalist pics, their sheer beauty makes this forum especially interesting.

Kevin

On Oct 12, 2009, at 4:45 AM, Doug Herr wrote:

I visited Taylor Creek at Lake Tahoe today and found a Black bear hunting salmon:

http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/carnivores/blbear00.html

The Black Bear is large and powerful, and care should be taken when this animal is nearby, but it is not as unpredictable as the larger and more dangerous Grizzly Bear (which is no longer found in California). The Black Bear evolved at a time when several larger predators, such as Dire Wolf, Saber-tooth Cat, and Grizzly Bear, would hunt this species so it still thinks of itself as a prey animal. Slow shutter speeds (dark fur and deep shade!) made it difficult to photograph all of its activities but while I watched the bear ate salmon and stream veggies.

Technical stuff: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, shoulder stock & monopod.
f/6.8 for DOF, 1/90 sec.

All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento