[LRflex] Going digital - Advice sought - Thanks in anticipation

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:05:27 +0200

To Canon and Nikon users, mainly.

I have had in mind for some time to go digital and was really attracted
by the Canon 20D (now replaced by 30D).

What are the pros and the cons of such a purchase - users' experience is
most welcome.
Which are the lenses that are sure NOT to fit the adptor; I had a close
look at my 24 Elmarit and found it protudes very slightly from the
adaptator ring for example.
Due to the circular movement of the mirror, how far/deep can it protude
into the 20D (30D can't be much different, can it?). Has anyone got the
specs? Measured?
I also own a 2x extender and two angenieux zooms (35x2 and 70X3). My
concern is that I wouldn't like to go canon and find them unsuitable.
And there's the crop factor to considered too...

A drastic alternative would be to go Nikon (D80 & 18-200 stab), which
would, along with the 10Mp, cover the whole range I currently have while
solving my decaying eyesight/focusing problems.
But it would also turn my current gear into FS or collection items which
I would certainly miss.

I know this may look or sound peculiar on a Leica list and could be
considered as a betrayal, but a used R8 or R9 + DMR is way beyond my
present and foreseable reach, and the Lumix + Leica stab would be
leaving a big gap in terms of range and versatility in the short and
mid-term..

Thanks for comments, advice, warnings, suggestions.

Yours
Phileicangenieux.