[LRflex] Re: Glory

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:11:26 -0700

Nice shot.  See Light Pillar on this page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bunnyfrogs/galleries/72157624145545217/

Glory is a halo, not a column.

Here are some neat photos of light pillars caused by street lights like Richard stated.
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/01/the-stunning-natural-phenomenon-of-light-pillars/

I have seen them a few times in cities, but never photographed them.

Aram

-----Original Message----- From: David Young
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:51 AM
To: LRflex
Subject: [LRflex] Glory

This shot is of the pre-dawn, taken in northern Alberta, last week.

It shows a curious phenomenon that I'd never seen before, apparently caused by
ice crystals in the air.  The locals call it a "Glory".

Can anyone shed light on how it's caused and/or what it's real name might be?

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Glory.html

C&C welcomed, as always.

David.