[LRflex] Re: Gear: Fuji x100 Info

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:59:03 -0500

Hi Andy,
    I may be mistaken, but you appear to be pulling a 'richard' - ie:
I'm getting a bit of a reputation for misreading/misunderstanding the
gist of posts on the list!
    The 'viewfinder' of these new Sony's is entirely and completely
Electronic. All the Mirror is 'used for' is to give the AutoFocus
Sensor Array information to process. Since SLR AF Technology is
decades ahead of 'image sensor' based AF Systems it gives Sony a Huge
Leg Up on DSLR's shooting video competitors. Especially true is when
it comes to focus tracking with moving subjects - Michael Reichman
over at Luminous Landscape posted a Video of a Rodeo Rider that is
utterly impossible to be shot with -for instance- a Canon 5DmkII
without some serious follow focus skills, cuz the 'imaging sensor'
based AF wouldn't stand a chance.

I'm not arguing for or against Pellicle Mirrors, just describing it.
The Good & The Bad. Information is sometimes just imformation. :-)

Richard in Michigan