[LRflex] Re: Gear: Fuji x100 Info

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:22:42 -0500

Hi George,
    you are spot on regarding the extra surfaces in the imaging
pathway - the front of the mirror and it's backside on the way out. I
won't make any arguments for Pellicle Mirrors being god's gift to Peak
Image Quality - PopPhoto's review of the camera noted that the a55's
Lab Tests were a notch behind Sony 'true' slr's sporting identical
sensor systems. We ALL are also aware of how dusty and contaminated
the viewfinder mirrors in our SLR's can get over the years and in
these new Sony's that mirror, it's backside too, will NOT be swinging
out of the way for every shot.
    However, I don't think this camera is at all aimed at folks
seeking Peak -Still Photography- Image Quality. They are using the
Pellicle Mirror 'trick' to give this camera top notch Autofocusing
while being used as a Video Camera & finally let video shooters hold
an 'slr' the way it was intended - to the eye & let it achieve very
high frames per second bursts for action photography. All in a camera
costing Hundreds of Dollars rather than Many Thousands of Dollars.
    I mainly brought up the a55 to point toward it's -reputedly- high
grade EVF in regards to some of the discussions about the new Fuji
x100 and it's hybrid Optical & EVF Concept. I personally wouldn't buy
or use one of these new Sony's for more than snapshots - I'd use a
less compromised design for stills, BUT I could easily see myself
getting one for use as a Video Camera. I have many years of
familiarity and preference for the SLR Ergonomic Gestalt. Rather use a
Video Camera that's up to my eye like the ole SRT-101 I started out
with than the rounded box of electronics with an lcd swung out to the
side that defines most high quality consumer / pro-sumer video cameras
I know of.

Sincerely
Richard in Michigan