[LRflex] Re: Gear: Fuji x100 Info

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 03:27:50 -0500

On the topic of 'viewfinders', LCD's, and the Future, I would point
you toward Sony and their new a55 dslrs. They 'look' just like a true
SLR and have the mirror of an slr between the lens and sensor, but the
actual viewfinder is completely electronic. The mirror is of the
'pellicle' type - bit like the one way windows in police interrogation
rooms on tv - and this mirror passes 90 some percent of the light
through to the sensor and the remainder is reflected to the AF sensors
so it maintains high quality AF continuously. It's an especially large
leap forward for having good autofocus while shooting video -
supposedly miles ahead of imaging sensor based autofocus. This new
sony was named Popular Photography's Camera of The Year. While my
thoughts on the magazine itself have grown a bit sour, I agree that
Sony's onto a pretty nifty method of having good 'slr' autofocus
without an slr's attendant viewfinder bits.

Richard in Michigan