[LRflex] Re: Fuji Competitor to the X1

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:54:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bille,
   I very very much agree with you on why this Fuji 'Rangefinder-ish' camera is
gonna get a lot of buzz and probably sales to match! The only thing that gives
it away as a digital camera is the dang LCD on the back! Which is also one of
the amazing strong suits of the M9. Seriously, the camera makers and designers
had the better part of a bleeping century to sort out how to do 'Analogue
Controls' well - Digital Human Interfaces for Cameras hasn't had nearly the
same
amount of time to figure out their mistakes let alone learn how to not screw-up
the process of actually Taking Pictures out in the Real World!
   There's a DANG Good Reason to go all 'Retro' and 'Analogue' for setting
Shutter Speeds, Apertures, and Focus for that matter, too! The film cameras
from
the past that did those things 'right' were successful for a reason - not
because they 'looked' a certain way or 'evoked' something from the past. As
Functional Objects they WORKED. Period. The best way to 'create' something -in
art, in writing, in design- is to 'Steal From The Masters!'. The Star Wars
Franchise got off to a rip roaring start by 'ripping off' John Ford's classic
Westerns and hiding it with the Magicians Mis-direction of putting it in Space
and with really cool Special Effects, too.
However... Leica would be risking the whole M9 Franchise if they make a Fuji
x100 cameras with interchangeable lenses. Combine a great optical viewfinder
and
evf and interchangeable lenses and I'm of the mind that an important slice of
folks stretching hearts, souls, and budgets to pay the 8-9-10 thousand bucks to
get started in M9 land will cop to the lower tier product. Leica already killed
the whole M franchise once with the Minolta CL & CLE product line - it was
hobbled compared to a 'real' M, but good enough for many folks and that was all
she wrote folks. Leica Canada were the ones responsible for any of us being
able
to buy M7s and M9s today. We all know how huge the obstacles for Leica to even
consider bring back the R camera line again, Leica would have had to overcome
the same challenges if the 'M' went bye bye back then.

Maybe Leica can bi-furcate the whole M line with manual only rangefinder
digitals and M bodies with Digital/Optical bifurcated Viewfinders like in that
Fuji.

Peace Everyone
Richard in Michigan