[LRflex] Re: Focal Plane Shutter Distortion.

  • From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 22:54:49 +1100

I think Aram is correct, as I recall the pan was quite swift and in
lowish light, probably aperture wide open at f2, the rider is moving
slowly preparing to enter the lane but moving forward.  What strikes me
about the effect is that the torso and head are relatively still whereas
the bike wheels right under him are blurred/distorted in comparison.

Walter

Aram Langhans wrote:
> I think it is panning effects seen.  I see three distinct black tires, so I
> am guessing the camera or bike was undertaking a jerky motion and the tire
> ended up in three locations on the film long enough to register as a darker
> image against the background.  But since the lights in the background seem
> rather smooth with panning, I am betting on the bike.  Just my
> interpretation.
>
> Thinking out loud, I would think the longer the exposure the less likely you
> are to see any effect from the shutter as the whole frame is open and
> exposed for a significantly longer time than the sweep of the shutter blades
> across the film.  Does that make sense?  I could be way off base here.
>
> Aram

Walter Krämer
walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx