[LRflex] Re: Epson EVF

  • From: "walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:23:47 +0800

Have lost the previous note from Doug concerning the epson crytal panel for
viewfinders.  I'll be watching the development of EVF.  Seems to me that this
device will eat quite deeply into the DSLR market as these cameras offer so
many
advantages not least of which is the small size without sacrificing much in
image
quality if anything.

I have a Panasonic G1 and enjoy it immensely for its size and versatility.  Of
course the VF does not match a traditional SLR however the potential is quite
apparent and much better than any other EVF I have seen.  In fact I often
forget
it's an EVF and simply use it just like my other SLRs. One advantage is that
you
can see the effect of exposure compensation and spot metering in the finder and
the
resultant image is spot on the money, ie., WYSIWYG.

I think an EVF camera may well be the solution that Leica talks about.  I know
it's
rumour but I heard it reported that a high level exec at Leica said that the
Panasonic EVF in the G1 was the minimum acceptable quality ... does this mean
they
have been thinking about it?

Anyway it is not difficult to imagine an X1 with EVF and an interchangeable
lens
mount.  For R glass there would be a crop factor however the wider focal ranges
could be filled with new lenses.  Just idle speculation however I do feel that
the
future for interchanged camera systems has EVF written all over it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09101501epsonhtpspanel.asp

Walter