[LRflex] Re: Epson EVF

  • From: Philippe Amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:23:58 +0200

Douglas Sharp wrote:

Hi Philippe,

what's so difficult about it? - the technology is already available :-)

the technology was also availble for an R9.2 Diesel Douglas, saith Philippe still dreaming

There must be tens of thousands of poople with good glass from Leica, Nikon, Pentax K + screw, Zeiss, Alpa, Canon FD, Minolta, Fujica, Exa, and a dozen other brands just dying for a full-frame digital option.

Dying , soon dead - FD is long past as R will be - niche market anyhow
And you must be an outsider to the DSLR turmoil to see that and think as you do - when on the circuit, you only see that you're not going to sell your other products, among which lenses ...
I can't think of a company with the necessary expertise and funds around

Amitiés de Metz sous la pluie
Philippe

Position it around the price of a prosumer DSLR and it will sell like the proverbial hot cakes.

Cheers
Douglas

Philippe Amard wrote:

You may say I'm a dreamer,
But  I'm not the only one.
;-)
John Philippe L1

Douglas Sharp wrote:

A bit of wishful thinking :-)

With this new Epson development, I would like to see a camera as a "Universal Muliple Brand Lens Platform" addressing the problem of different lens-sensor registers by having a sensor that can be moved to the correct register for any brand of lens.

Lenses could be attached with an adapter for each brand that translates mechanical motions (levers, pins, cams) into electronic signals for metering.

Taking this a step further, a moving sensor could even be used with the Contax / Kyocera moving image plane concept to provide autofocus.

Cheers
Douglas

Gary E wrote:

I once wrote on another site that using a Panasonic GF-1 or Olympus EP-1 4/3 camera with the Leica 70-180/2.8 may be a daunting task if not impossible to hand hold. But...

If they developed a body a little bigger than then current G1/GH1 with this EVF, can mount R lenses directly with auto aperture, meter as such with ROM or 3rd cam and if (meaning must in my case) it comes with a FF sensor, then I wouldn't mind using the live view the EVF would provide if the resolution is as they say.

I've also wondered what this DSLR solution from Leica or 3rd licensed party would look like or function like. Seems mirror-less interchangeable digital cameras are in vogue now with the manufacturers.

"Anyway it is not difficult to imagine an X1 with EVF and an interchangeable lens mount. For R glass there would be a crop factor however the wider focal ranges could be filled with new lenses. Just idle speculation however I do feel that the future for interchanged camera systems has EVF written all over it."

I don't disagree with this, but to have to buy new lenses to cover the wide angles would not be a viable nor acceptable R solution.

Gary E

From: "walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Epson EVF
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:23:47 +0800

Have lost the previous note from Doug concerning the epson crytal panel for viewfinders. I'll be watching the development of EVF. Seems to me that this device will eat quite deeply into the DSLR market as these cameras offer so many advantages not least of which is the small size without sacrificing much in image quality if anything.

I have a Panasonic G1 and enjoy it immensely for its size and versatility. Of course the VF does not match a traditional SLR however the potential is quite apparent and much better than any other EVF I have seen. In fact I often forget it's an EVF and simply use it just like my other SLRs. One advantage is that you can see the effect of exposure compensation and spot metering in the finder and the resultant image is spot on the money, ie., WYSIWYG.

I think an EVF camera may well be the solution that Leica talks about. I know it's rumour but I heard it reported that a high level exec at Leica said that the Panasonic EVF in the G1 was the minimum acceptable quality ... does this mean they have been thinking about it?

Anyway it is not difficult to imagine an X1 with EVF and an interchangeable lens mount. For R glass there would be a crop factor however the wider focal ranges could be filled with new lenses. Just idle speculation however I do feel that the future for interchanged camera systems has EVF written all over it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09101501epsonhtpspanel.asp

Walter