[LRflex] Re: Canyon de Chelly...

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:54:28 -0700

Steve,

We spent a wonderful day there in a Jeep with a Navaho guide (only
the Navahos can go deep into the Canyon).

The "cliff dwellings" are very interesting, created under immense
overhangs, as in Mesa Verde and other sites in the west. A treat was
seeing the wooded land his mother had inherited from her mother in
the Navaho matriarchal system, and which neither of his sisters had
wanted; he petitioned the tribal elders to let him have the land and
they did.

There were many paths up the sides of the canyon that the Navahos
used and still use for access; we, of course, declined to try!

It is a beautiful and peaceful place and I am confident you will be
shown the best of the best sites for photography.

Have a nice time.

Thank you for your wonderful pictures of Irene Maria. We are holding
her in our thoughts.

All the best,

Bill

On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:40 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:

In two days, I will head to Canyon de Chelly on the Navajo
reservation, northern Arizona, to spend a few days relaxing,
participating in a photography workshop...

I will photograph the wilderness, the canyons, and the Navajo people...
something a little different for me...

Leica M's with a 28mm, a 50mm, and a 90mm...color film....
maybe even a tripod...

If you have any thoughts, questions, or possibly suggestions for me,
please write now,

Steve