[LRflex] Re: Aram's request Re: More contoversy!

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:07:44 -0800

David Young offered:
>>> For those who may be interested, I have it on good report  (though not
> personal experience) that  the same trick works with the
>
> Digilux 2/Lumix LC1 cameras. Owners of those cameras may wish to
> experiment... as may many others who wish to find out what their cameras
> can *really* do!<<<<

Hi David,
Been there done it about 2 years ago with my Digilux 2. ;-) B.D. and I did a
number of shoot outs if you like. I argued strongly toward the 2 stops under
expose, then correct in computer against his "just set camera and shoot"
picture taking.;-)

Yeah it kind of works ok in some situations. I was very excited that I could
pull this 2 stop under-exposure off with the Digilux 2 and not have poor
looking pictures. That was until I began trying to shoot basketball in high
school gym's and it became a waste of time fiddling things in the computer
to even come close to decent looking prints.

I gave it up simply because it just meant more time in front of the screen
instead of a simple "set asa for what the camera can handle properly." So I
changed cameras for the better! :-) And shot good solid action pictures.

Then I changed it one more time to the 20D. Now one might say it's a simple
piece of cake for very good looking action pictures with the least amount of
time at the screen

I think it was Howard Cummer who twigged me to the 2 stop under exposure
trick originally, then correct in PS. And yes for some situations it works,
but I'll take what the camera can handle as shown without the extra screen
time.

What I can't understand is.... nearly everyone of us who've done darkroom
printing and now into digital of some kind. This includes many of my
professional photographer associates.... all complain .... "We sit in front
of the damn screen way too much instead of out shooting in the good old days
of film!" So why ask for more work when it isn't necessary?

My "KISS" thing for digital is.... do the least amount of stuff to camera or
computer as long as the prints are blowing people away and they are paying
for the assignment accomplished successfully. ;-)

ted