Re: to admin

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:18:41 -0800

The very reason that this list was started, as an adjunct to the LUG, was to get away from the 'TAG'. Brian Reid maintained two subscription addresses, one with and one without the tag. He then, without any notice, simply killed the tagless version of the LUG. And would not even discuss the fact that he had done that. So this list was born and has done very well ever since.

I just went to my Gmail account. I found a LEG message, selected it, pulled down 'More Actions', and clicked 'Filter messages like these'. Create a filter opens, I clicked 'Star it' and 'Apply the label:'. In the 'choose label:' pull down, select 'new label' and type in LEG , click OK, then click 'Create Filter'.

Now, when a LEG message arrives in your 'Inbox', it will be 'starred' and will have the tag LEG.

I suspect that since it meets your filter criteria, it may not become 'spam'. Give it a try and let me know.

I'm a little reluctant to switch the LEG to a tagged list at this very moment. I would like to hear from others who have problems due to the list being 'un-tagged'. Most e-mail clients allow you to filter messages into mailboxes or folders. I use both MAC mail and Eudora. In both, I filter LEG messages into a LEG mailbox. I use the filter criteria 'to = leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to create mailboxes in Gmail.

I really do not like Gmail, I use it as a backup only when my mail server goes down. It was down for the past two days because is sits in a building on the UC Davis campus and the power was out to that part of the campus. It came back up last night. Anyway, there are some really great e-mail clients out there. Eudora has become very good. A lot of people like Thunderbird. If you use a MAC (I'm on one right now) MAC mail 'Mail' works great. I use it in the IMAP mode. I use Eudora on my IBM T43p Laptop in the POP mode. In both cases, filtering e-list messages (LEG, HUG, SILVER, ASMP, ROLLEI, STOCKPHOTO, etc...) into their own mailboxes is simple and keeps the 'INBOX' clear of all of the Photo-list messages. I just click each mailbox and new messages are all taqgged as new, therefore, easy to read.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know.

:-)

Jim

On Jan 4, 2008, at 8:18 PM, Sonny Carter wrote:

It usta be that it was OK to not have a tag in the subjet line. Now I am a member of several lists, and I use G mail. Many times, since there is no leg tag, the emails get sorted to the spam folder.

Wish we could add a tag.
--
Regards,

Sonny