Re: Tree Huggers ... Part 1

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:27:26 -0700

Douglas Herr wrote:

There's a reason some people shell out the bucks for the Leica stuff ... my
tests of the Leica 2x APO show a small loss of image quality with most lenses,
the sole exception being a non-Leica lens, which had a more significant loss.

Agreed. Using my old 1970's vintage 2x with the 80~200 Vario, 180 Elmar or even the 21SA, it shows remarkably little loss of detail. Certainly, the detail was better than cropping the equivalent area out of the negative and blowing it up to the same size.

The one exception, in my tests, is the 90 Summicron (where it all started, for me, as a replacement for the 180 Elmar - for traveling). The 90 Summi is a real dog when used with the old 2x, and I have no idea why.

I've only borrowed an APO 2x for a few hours (courtesy of Christian Erhardt of Leica USA). However, my quick and *very* unscientific tests, showed that it was not a whole lot different than my old one (though I'm sure it is with the new generation APO lenses) when used with my old glass. I was very impressed, however, with the total lack of vignetting with the Telyt - for vignetting is a real problem with the original model.

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt