Re: Tree Huggers ... Part 1

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:38:21 -0700

Mark Bohrer wrote:

David:
I bet the barefoot 400mm lens is sharper than the 800mm setup with the 2X converter. I try to avoid using the 2X if at all possible. Nice climber on the tree... and without spikes too!

Surprisingly, Mark, it's not a whole lot different. Since the early 60's it's been known that the longer the focal length the less effect a converter has on the sharpness. Two factors... [1] the angle of the rays is narrower or straighter or something (very much so in the Telyt's case, with the cemented pair way out in the front) and [2] you're only magnifying the central bit of the prime lens... where it's at it's best.

Now, a technician would prove that there is degradation - and of course there is... but with the 400 Telyt it's not really noticeable in the photos. BTW: the one problem with the early 70's vintage converter I use is that there is some significant vignetting with the Telyt. The APO converter does not have this problem. (The smaller sensor of the 20D also cures the problem!)

Still, I prefer the "barefoot:" Telyt simply because the finder is **so** much brighter at f6.8 than f13.6! Much, much easier to focus in dim light.

As for the climber... well, we all know they can... but it's rare to see one doing so!

Thanks for your comment and for taking the time to look. :-)

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt