Re: Tree Huggers ... Part 1

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:19:35 -0700

Mark Bohrer wrote:

David:

<snip>

I'm always impressed at the high quality of your work with manual focusing at such high magnifications.

Thanks, Mark! The Telyt is a delight to focus, even on the 20D. Images pop in and out of focus with a magical ease - even in the dim light provided by the Telyt with 2x.

The problem is [a] holding it steady (a monopod is a huge help, but not always available) and [b] getting enough light. With the bear shot, it was 1/100, using only the shoulder stock. And that's wide open (such as wide is, with the f 6.8 Telyt) and at ISO-3200!

With ISO-3200, I notice the green of the trees is a lot less saturated than it really is... but that's a small price to pay. I'd never have gotten the shot with film, any film, or at a lower ISO with the LeiCanon!

As for sharpness/resolution degradation with the 2x... it may help that my 2x may be old, but it is Leica. No matter... it works marvelously with the Telyt, for whatever reasons.

Cheers!

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC CANADA.